6.22.2010

Meet Me in St.... errr... DC

I absolutely loved Meet Me in St. Louis growing up. Loved, loved, LOVED it. Mostly because I was obsessed with Judy Garland but also I was fascinated with how they "handled" the heat during the turn of the century (circa 1904). To this day I don't know how women were able to wear dresses/petticoats/stockings/etc. when it was above 75 degrees. At that point I'm sure I'd have had the "vapors" about a million times over. Didn't they know about heat stroke?!

Well, I complain about this because today in DC it hit high 90s (re: 99 degrees). I about fainted on the Metro because the car I was in was lacking AC. Though, with all of this complaining I must bite my tongue seeing I go from a house with central air to an office with central air to a car (boyfriends) with a working AC. It's only for one mile am I sweating it out in my work clothes. So I realize, yes, I am very spoiled. Though, if I had the choice my version of a nice hot summer day would be 80 degrees, NO humidity and a lake with public access at every corner.

I think back with awe on how my ancestors crossed the prairie on AC-less trains I will wake up as an appreciative lady tomorrow and smile when the meteorologist announces another steamy day.



Perhaps in 1904 they were smart... they at least had a trolley above ground allowing natural air-flow unlike 2010 where we are stuck in a small box of a car underground withb a broken AC. Hrmmm...

1 comment:

adrienne said...

I think at 99 degrees you have the right to declare it swimsuit Tuesday.

I happen to like those days a lot.

PS, Yess!! More blogging entertainment! What do you think I do at work, actually work??