2.24.2009

A Couch.

I have a couch theory.


Now in my mid-more to later-twenties I find myself a lot of decent furniture.... a double bed, a twin bed (with frames), peronally designed desk and lingerie bureau, refinished antique monograph stand, smoking stand....etc. I am not without. Except for a couch.

Why? Or how? As in, how is it that I can own all this other furniture and not own a decent couch? How could I have gone from place to place during/after college and never fully aquired my own couch? Sure I had a $20 piece of crap my senior yr and a parental hand-me-down but they weren't worthy of keeping when I moved east on a $100 budget. So I did without and relied on crappy couches that my roommates owned.

But still, as you may wonder, how is it that I am like this? The theory is simple. To me a couch means settling. And if you know me, that is a hard concept for me to swallow right now. People ask me where I live and the best answer is "out of a suitcase". Sure I am currently at my parents house (for the last 3 months) and before that I was out east in two cities and before that I moved between Ames, Fresno, St. Paul and Mpls during my collegiate years. But those were only a few moves of the past before the several moves of the future. So why would I want to invest a quality/heavy piece of furniture when I still have a lotta leaving left to do?

Answer - don't.

Problem - I am now taking over a 6 mo lease in Mpls.

To me this could be temporary or turn into something a little longer. Not sure. But do I want to put up with visitors not having a comfy place to sit when they visit? Would I subject them to sitting on pillows on the floor for an entire six months? I would like to think I'm a bit more hospitable than that but that means I need to swallow my theory and purchase a couch. I don't want to go the college route and buy any old thing that fits in a $50 budget....not I want an adult couch.

So there we have it. I think I need a couch. It stinks. I am trying to save $$ for whatever move the future may bring me (job relocation/grad school/shopping spree to Bloomingdales downtown Chicago ......), you just never know.

But if I am to purchase a couch hopefully I can find something similar to this -




By the way - I never knew this could be so annoying but someone who finishes EVERY sentence you try to say is beyond annoying and will force you to speak faster so they can't figure out what you plan on ending your last comment/thought with.

No comments: