5.02.2009

Tis the Derby Season

While I have friends who are donning their cute sundresses, new sunhats and wedges all the while socializing with a nice line of cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and pretty horses I'll be here. And by here I mean by self, sitting in last years dress and hat drinking a Red Stripe while watching the fun times on the TeeVee.

While I love Minnesota - they don't get it. Nope. They don't. They don't see all that is wonderful in a good 'ol fashion derby, one where people are actually civilized and present their finest. Nah. We are a group of health freaks who'd rather jump in our canoe or jog around Lake of the Isles. I love both but seem to have a hard time finding a place that does both. What's wrong with gettin' down and dirty in the soil and then going and taking a shower and throwing on your Sunday best? I've never considered myself much of a southerner seeing my southern born girlfriends cringe half the time I open my mouth and respond to me with, "Only a Yankee would think that way!" (Yes, I'm a Yankee to them!) But then again they've trained me to like sweet tea, say "Ya'll" and squeel over a cute sunhat. My mother questions where the heck I came from seeing my taste is about 50 yrs too late. Needless to say, people have a hard time placing me and well, I do have a hard time finding that perfect fit.

So perhaps I'll just need to start a new trend. I'm sure there are plenty of misplaced southerners who are in MN - perhaps they would like a to join me in watching some fine bred horses run the race all the while enjoying a nice mint julep.

Though, while I look for them, I'm gonna try to find a hat just like this.....(but cheaper) Good lordy - $190!!!

No comments: