6.08.2009

Men Win

Yes, I just said that. They win. They win in the fact that they have an easier time saying, "no." No, I won't give you money. No, I won't go to your dumb "party". Just "No". I like it. That's probably why men don't have to face invites to things such as Pampered Chef, Mary Kay or Arbonne parties hosted by their friends. I am obviously not the "market" that these parties typically look for. But is there really a market for them?

We live in an industrialized society that embraces convenience. Since when is it convenient to have to go to somebody's house to look at a bunch of scented candles (which, by the way, give me headaches) and then buy them from a catalogue. Re: They aren't even available that night!

Yes, I just dragged my butt on a 35 miles roundtrip (rarely to people in the city host this kind of crap) to the burbs to LOOK at something that is over-priced and being shown to us by some lady with scary, over-manicured hands and so much gold jewelry on that Mr. T is jealous. Now I'm suppose to whip out my credit card and buy a candle or votive or whatever because I feel guilty that I'm not into the product but my friend won't get the "Hostess" gift if I don't SPEND, SPEND, SPEN!!!

I could have solved my lack of candle issue while running my errands at, let's say, Target. To me, candle is a candle. It serves two purposes - looking pretty or making the room smell less gross. I have found that a $2 candle works just as well as a $10 candle.

If we do get food & drink out of this occasion it's typically wine. Supposedly ALL women like wine. Word. Not all women. I would pefer a G & T or even a whiskey on the rocks...probably the latter of the two seeing I'm surrounded squealing women, pretending to like a pastel candle and how it would go lovely with the beige decor in their livingrooms. Okay, lets make that a double on the rocks.

If I want food containers or candles - I go to Target or some other big box store. I use these items right along with my tp & Klennex's ... I think I'll purchase them together. (If there is a TP buying party, may the Lord help me)

If I want make-up - I believe in places call Target, Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc. There they have a women who can help you at any minute and a lot less girly stuff involved.

If I want a pedicure - I'll support the small biz down the street.

I'm a woman. I want convenience and not to be bothered. I'm busy. If I want to gather with you ladies, I just want to hangout and not feel the need to whip out my checkbook. Throw someting on the tube and place a beer or a G & T in my hand and I'll be happy as a peach.

So yes men, you win. Your "parties" typically involve beer (or liqour) and some chili. Only money lost is from the loser who stinks at poker. Hats off to you and your ability to say no. Because of your ability to do so you don't have to go to tool parties (you guys go to Sears or Home Depot ...where they have hotdogs!) or to card parties (your buddies remind you that Hallmark or drug store is down the road).

I guess the only way I can rid of this bad woman trend is by learning to say, NO!

No comments: