8.14.2007

I don't

"I don't cuddle. Unless he's big and buff. Then I'll think about it."
- Me

This has already been a long week and we're only sitting at Tuesday. A thought to be relaxing weekend turned busy and then a non-stop Monday only added on to the hectic lifestyle.

So this is the funny thing in my life right now....on average I send off my resume once a week to a job opening. Those weeks go by and I hear nothing. All of a sudden I get a phone call at work from a certain company I met (and who are members of my current place) offering me a job - in international sales. We're talking a nice promotion from where I'm at right now and room to grow. Now the kicker - I didnt' apply for a job, they've never seen my resume - all they did was met me and had dinner with me and 30 other people from around the world (there's more to it, but it's highly unnecessary to write about). From a 10 minute intense conversation about my background and industry to ONE drink with a small group where one person decided it would be great to mock me, I was offered an opportunity that should not be passed.

I was stunned. I didn't know what to say and what I did want to say I was unable to due to the fact I was in ear-shot of the President (current employer). So I mumbled that I could come and visit their facilities and discuss the job in further detail.

It's odd. My resume with detailed background and name-dropping references got me nothing. A 10 minute conversation about what I'm passionate about got me a potential job. Now, they made find that I'm not qualified for it or I may not desire the move or the package, but the fact is...I'm not that dumb. Well, at least as dumb as I was feeling at the time. Job searching is a real strain on one's ego and I was feeling it.

The best part of this is the main reason why I'm looking to move basically is due to me never leaving the office and meeting with people. So, the first time I leave the office for meetings/seminars I go and do this. Just goes to show that the best and only way to market oneself is by actually being there. Resumes can wow for only a moment - a good meeting can leave a statement.

As for what I'm going to do....we'll see. I will definately check it out and put all issues out on the table (moving, location, pay, future, etc....). I just pray they like me and want to extend the full offer. Then I pray that I make the right decision!

No comments: