3.13.2008

What's a Heat Wave to You?

8:45 a.m. EST listening to Philly's 104.5.....weather announcement....."Brrr! It's cold this morning! Right now it's a freezin' 32 degrees!"

9:05 a.m. EST listening to 89.3 The Current (Minneapolis) from my desk.....weather announcement......"It's a beautiful sunny/warm day out with a temp of 33 degrees. Enjoy folks!"

I'm guessing it's all a matter of persepective. The kicker is that my mama'mobile (an older Volvo) is what I like to call a bit 'prissy.' Back a few months ago when it started to get chilly in Philly I noticed a bright orange light turn on when I would start my car. Now, I was still a bit new to all of the functions of my car so I got a bit worried (I hadn't noticed that this light was located by the thermometer). I look up the function and found out that this little light is just to let you know when the temp has dipped below 40 degrees F.

Now, I know I brag about liking the cold. Albeit, I'm not sure why I do, but I do. Anyhow, I am curious as to what engineer at Volvo HQ was sitting there and thinking, "People are too dumb to figure out the temperature via feeling and/or reading the thermometer, let's help them out by having a light come on when it dips below 40 degrees!!" I can only assume he brings this to the board of engineers and they applaud his great idea, pay him $1,000,000 and then require it to be installed in all of their models and jack up the price of the car by another $5,000.

So this morning (after a number of warmer mornings) I was SO happy that I had this light tell me that it was 'chilly' out. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have known to put my heater on for a bit or to wear the coat that I was already wearing. Thank you Volvo.

**I do love my Volvo - I just find this one piece of 'extra' a bit unnecessary**

p.s. I'm sincerly lazy.

Point: Last night I was in a wickedly horrible light sleep and woke up instantly when my fan quit. I laid there and listened to the would be normal sounds, but there was nothing. Dead silent. It was as if the entire neighborhood hushed for a moment. I got out of bed and fumbled my way to the light switch. Nothing. I went downstairs and heard some roucus outside; my neighbors were chatting and having a smoke (the norm). I go back upstairs and decide it's just a minor power outtage.

But wait? I didn't look to see if anyone elses power was out. Gah! After a few minutes of deliberating I get up again, blindly find some pants and throw on a sweater. I head down to our freaky dungeon of a basement and grab the flashlight and then go back upstairs to put contacts in (I'm blind as a bat, let me tell you.). I'm cursing the entire time thinking that our house is scary in the dark and the shadows created by the flashlight does not help. I managed to walk outside and see the neighboring blocks and rec center all lit up. "The transformer blew-up." I jump, my older neighbor lady was barely hanging out the door and I hadn't noticed her. There was a lot of commotion and flashing lights everywhere down the street. We make some minor small talk and bid each other a good night.

I managed to get back into bed but of course laid there completely awake and kept thinking, "They better fix that soon or else I'm sending a bill for all of the fresh fish I bought tonight at the market." Even I amaze myself sometimes....the power is out and all I think of was my fish.

No comments: