9.24.2010

Lists & Papers - Today's Procrastination

So I am on Facebook. Yes, that is nothing special seeing as everyone else in this world is and after "The Social Network" comes out I have a feeling the numbers are going to EXPLODE. With that I have a revelation and a bag-full of issues. No, not with the movie. Pfft. Movie-schmovie. You see, when I joined in Dec 2004, it was cool and unique. Of course I was in college at that time and it was used for uploading obnoxious photos from college parties, creating groups based on silly inside jokes and feeling superior to all others when you list yourself as "in a relationship."

Fast forward to 2010 - stupid photos are still being posted, but of boring moments because you know better when attempting to apply for jobs. Groups have turned into official things such as policy pieces you support. And now, you avoid the relationship status thing and just use Facebook to stalk that person you met on Saturday night but were too consumed with lame bar talk that you never figured out if he/she has anything in common with you.

It kills me yet I'm still stuck on it. I have tried to "quit" a few times but find myself lured back in because it's an easy, passive way of keeping in touch with friends 1,000 miles away. Now I get it, they are your friends and you should be able to use a few other tools out there (i.e. phone/email/hand-written notes) to keep in touch. I guess it comes down to me choosing the lazy route. I do care about these people but I'm too lazy to pick up the phone and give'm a shout more than the four times a year. I have convinced myself that I'll quit when I have a kid. This is easy to say seeing that I'm not married, or even in a relationship. Yep. Got it. I'm just making excuses.

But really...when (errr...if?!) I have kids I figured the last thing I need to do is post a million photos of the kid in the same outfit and two different expressions happening. Or um, have status updates about dirty diapers. (Hopefully my posts now are more entertaining!)I've heard that parents like having the Facebook because it's a way of feeling 'social' without having to leave the house. Now, if this is the case, I am nervous about what parenthood entails. I am pretty sure that if it comes down to that I will be the queen at booking play-dates. I do not want to rely on Facebook as my only source of socializing. This scares me to death, the notion that with age it will be one of my more common social tools than actually seeing people live or going to events. Not acceptable. No, no, no, no.

Now as I go and start mixing a drink cause I'm fretting about whole issue rather than working on a paper for school, I'll leave you with this most excellent video... Enjoy!

No comments: