8.24.2008

From the Porch

It's a Sunday afternoon. I'm sitting on the porch watching & listening to the sounds of my neighborhood. There are teens on the baskball court shouting whatnots to each other, the buzz of Ridge Ave one block down, the neighbors TV and a few dogs barking in the back of our row. This is certainly not the sounds I grew-up with. I grew-up with cows mooing, the milkhuse pumps humming, a random tractor pull through the north part of the farm and ...... silence. Silence where, at times, all you could 'hear' was the breeze.

Not only has the sounds been bugging me lately, but also the sights, mostly, the stars. While driving to Atlantic City last night I saw stars for the first time in two weeks. We threw the moonroof open and zipped through the night with a ceiling of stars. It was amazing.

So two-and-a-half years later, I find myself wondering if I could take the new version of sound and sight any longer? Perhaps, but it's not cutting it for me right now.

Yeah, I'll miss the little neighbor kids peering out their mail slot at me whenever I come home and asking me where I've been. And that dog that wakes me up every morning howling/crying cause its owner left it for the day in a small, cramped house. And yes, I'll miss the neighbors friends who find our front lawn to be the perfect ashtray. Oh and lest we not forget the guy three houses down who thinks he's beyond awesome and showing it by revving his motorcycleat 11:30 pm. Yes, so much I'll miss.

No comments: