1.12.2009

Anonymous

I can't lie. I miss being anonymous. It is - to some people - not fun being anonymous but to me, it's a luxury. I moved from a city where I was fairly anonymous even after 1 year. I'm not saying walking around downtown, but even in my neighborhood I loved and loathed it. I loved it...cause it meant that I could go and do whatever I pleased and never have to worry about running into people and doing the forced smalltalk. I loathed it cause it meant that I didn't fit with the community. It meant I didn't belong there.

But now I'm back in the 'hood I grew-up in. I look a bit different and I haven't seen most people for at least 3-5 yrs but they remember me. I can't pick-up my dry cleaning or have lunch at the cafe by myself without running into someone I know - OR knows me. (sidenote: more people know me than I them for the fact that I did a PSA on the public cable network as a dairy ambassador one year. I'm still well known for that, oy!).

I miss the luxury of going to the grocery store for milk in my sweaty garb after the gym and not one person knew more, or even cared! Actually, the only time someone knew me was just another sweaty gym goer doing the same thing.

But I do have to say, it is fun (sometimes) running into relatives at the gas station or seeing some folks from church who I adored growing up. I just hope I remembered to match my socks!

No comments: