4.25.2009

Down the Hall

I have a neighbor just down the hall who I am quite curious about. The first time I met him I was struggling to get up the stairs at 2 am, not because I had consumed too much, but because I was carrying life-sized posters of Chad Greenway from the MN Vikings. He was with another buddy and a girl and I felt quite dorky cause this is what I was doing on a Saturday night - clad in a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers, carrying milk mustache poster boards. He asked if I needed help (it was very apparent with my grunting and climbing the steps at the speed of a snail) but I refused. Finally, as they waited for eternity to get to the 2nd flight of stairs he upped and grabbed the end and walked me to my door. I was embarrassed to say the least and mumbled a weak "Thank you."

The next time I saw him, I was rushing into our building all sweaty due to being at the gym earlier. He was out having a smoke and tried to make small-talk with me while I attempted to open the door with my poorly cut key. I was feeling kinda dumb, so I kept my eyes on my keys and just mumbled a "hi". Weak, I know.

The last time I saw him I was making a bit of noise at my door (stupid keys) and felt someone staring at me from down the hall. Of course it was him. I smiled and finally made my way into my apartment and slammed the door shut. Even weaker, got it.

I don't know what his deal is. Perhaps I'm a bit amusing to have around seeing I have issues with carrying stuff, opening doors and seem to always be at my worst. I don't know if he's fascinated or or what but it's apparent that he finds some form of fascination with me. I am half tempted to bake some cookies and leave them at his door (of course I'll knock and run away) but I'm afraid that it might give the wrong impression

(Not gonna lie, for years I always wanted to be that neighbor who brought over the "housewarming" casserole....but it just never felt right.)

I think I should attempt to get to know him seeing I am dying for new friends in my new location, but how should I go at it without seeming creepy? (I swear, everything is considered "creepy" or "stalking" these day...)

I guess I'll just have to let it play out; it's bound that we'll run into each other again.

No comments: