4.22.2009

Happy Earth Day and No, I will not give you a dollar.

I would like to consider myself a caring person - one who will donate their time and money for a good cause. I am bothered by homelessness and the increase in it due to our current economic times. But there is just something about a certain person who I saw on the street the other day that made me lose all sympathy.

As I was walking downtown Minneapolis with my friend we walked past numerous beggers. Some tried to talk to you, others just sat there and held a sign. With each one we passed I felt awful and secretly hoped that they weren't actually in such a dire situation. I also made a mental note to sign-up to help out at a shelter soon. As we were about to cross to another street a cigarette box was tossed across our path. We turned to see who had done this, surprisingly enough it was an older gentleman clad in dirty clothes and sitting against the building holding a sign asking for money. (And let me note: there was a trash can 10 ft from the man)

The guilt left me immediately and fury set in. My friend just smiled and kept walking as if she hadn't seen a thing I, on the other hand, went into a rage of why I wouldn't give him a dollar because I just paid that to him with my tax dollars paying to pick-up his trash. I didn't say it directly to him but made sure to say it loud enough while standing at the corner waiting for the light. Call me heartless but if you don't take the time to respect your surroundings, like heck I'm gonna help you out.

Though after my little stumpfest, two blocks later I tripped and pulled a muscle in my foot.

I got the message.

No comments: