5.18.2010

'tis the Season

It's wedding season. I know this by way of two ways, well more like 25. Anyway the season is upon us and my bank account is starting to reflect that (but it's worth it) and a few many FB status updates now are fully devoted to word on the upcoming nuptials.

I say, "Oy!"


As a traditional, non-traditionalist (e.g. I want a mostly black wedding dress if the day ever happens for me), I often find myself gagging at some of the "stuff" I get to witness. But I must sit back and swallow it because I know with this type A personality there is great potential of me taking all of that stuff to an entirely different level. As I'm aware of the potential for that, I have start to make many and I mean dozens of mental notes of "What not to do" in order to keep my friends and family on the non-hatin' side of me!


Now because I'm only getting older and ~ 75% of the people I'm around are married or in fully committed relationships I get asked a lot of marriage questions (mostly by other folk who find it odd that I'm still singlesque). They are all so very excellent. My favorite are the non-questions, rather these people are making statements for me. Awww, how sweet. Just because I'm getting closer to 30 than 20 and have yet to commit to anything beyond the current month doesn't mean you can make such grand assumptions such as, "Your clock is tickin' for kids!"

Really? REALLY!? I like to remind them that it doesn't take a marriage to pop out a kid and if that damn clock was tickin' that hard I would have taken care of it by now. Funny how that shuts them up. Truth be told, from an early age I haven't wanted to settle down until after my 30th birthday. I'm a bit selfish in that way, I guess. But I figured if I were to settle down I'd prefer to do it only once and that means I should get a few things out of the way in order to be a better partner down the road. A crime, I think not. Until then, I'll enjoy celebrating these moments of flower filled, booze-induced dances, dry chicken dinners (ahem, weddings) in honor of my friends.


So here's a toast to my friend Mel and her sig other, Jonathan (J) - may you two have a rockin' marriage from here on out ... and yes, I will be enjoying the drinks and some darn good food this weekend down in 'bama with ya'll!

No comments: