5.03.2010

2010 One-third Over = New Sport

So the semester is coming to a close. With that, I'm very, super, super thankful for. I am sad to announce that I was wrong when it came to graduate school. I had fooled myself into thinking that it would be different this time around. As in, I would NOT PROCRASTINATE and I would LOVE EVERY SECOND of class and I would spend DOUBLE the hours on my assignments and read AHEAD. While I certainly did improve from my undergrad years, it wasn't the complete 180 had envisioned.

I did manage to get involved on campus though! I have a part-time gig working with the GMU Arlington Life area (i.e. planning local stuff for students) and plan on running for an office on campus come Fall 2010. My name is making its rounds, always a plus in school, most notably a school in the Beltway. And not-to-mention, I need it to get out of the job I'm currently doing. As much as I love making decent money working from home, it gets kinda lonely and doesn't move me that much closer to desirable international work.

But the semester is coming to a close and current work is packing on. Stress is mounting but I thank the help of good friends and a wonderful guy who is making it into my thoughts more and more. I also thank myself for finally verbalizing a need... the need to get on board of a new sport for the year 2010. Upon hearing this TC presents me (a week later and to my surprise) with a pink soccer ball and shin-guards. I squealed in pure delight and ran down his condos hall kicking a soccer ball with my flip-flop foot.

After dusting the cleats off and donning a pair of bright pink socks (courtesy of TC), I walked onto a soccer field. I told the team that I was new at the sport and not afraid to get whacked, sweaty or yelled at. They were cool with that and all three happened during the hot, 90 degree and humid Saturday game. But please note, the whacking was ALL on my part.

So three words.

I love soccer.


There is a lot for me to learn but I like it. It's a great cardio workout and allows for me to be super aggressive (take THAT flag football). I enjoy a good bruise if it was all for sport. The team seemed like me, so yes, I will be back. Yay!

**The only downfall: my back has been giving me trouble and I guess the solution is NOT to go and play soccer for an hour, who knew!? Apparently my mom did. It just means me waking-up for the third day in a row screaming in pain and walking hunched over and allowing the boy to pamper me with kind words of worry.**

No comments: