6.02.2006

Wingman...You Know You've Been One

I’m blogging while waiting for some stats to come in overseas. It sounds big but it’s really not. Basically my boss left for Egypt and left me in-charge of our section of the 2005-2009 business plan. Yeah, I’m working on a business plan….I feel a little old for my age. But oh well, it gives me a chance to pretend that I’m boss (it’s a nice feeling).

But in the midst of my hectic days of crunching numbers, yelling at our foreign offices and pretending that I remember everything from my bio-chem class back when I was sophomore (okay, so I rarely went and I do remember that was also the first time I laughed when I took a final….not cause it was easy but because I had NO clue what was going on and I knew I was screwed.)

Sorry – I’m getting off track.

Anyway…..I wanted to share with you a little piece of D.C. You see this ‘classy’ city also has many downfalls, such as hiring stupid reporters for their Style Section of the Washington Post. And I guess they let these so-called reporters get a huge photo spread in the center section of the front page of the Style Section. This pure stupidity only proved to be even worse from what I had encountered previoulsy when this past Wednesday I walked into the break-room to grab a paper. I was in a hurry and quickly shifted through the various papers too find the Wall Street Journal, naturally. But before I got to my beloved paper (I LOVE WSJ not just to be business savvy but it’s also fun for me to laugh at companies that are screwing up and hitting rock bottom – just a little humor!), I saw this gigantic photo of two 20-somthings cuddled (drunkenly) holding a beer. I thought, ‘hunh? It must be a bar review’ but no, it was an entire article devoted to being a “Wingman.” Yep that’s right, wing-manning. Of course I’m used to the term, because hey, I went through college and everyone either does it or needs it at least once throughout their undergrad (and yes, even graduate) years. But come on! A front-page article about that in the Washington Post! This is making the Star Tribune look like pure gold.

But I ignored the article, hey; I had a REAL paper to read. So I soon forgot about it until it popped up in my e-mail from a co-worker. I guess I missed the lunch convo about it amongst my co-workers. In the e-mail she linked on a girl who devotes her entire blog to “Hating DC” and of course this blogger put down the Wingman article as one of her many reasons for such hate. I read her post and found it to be semi-hilarious. She and I shared some similar views on the subject (more over the writer and those being interviewed) but really, the whole theory of wing-manning isn’t that bad. Again, who hasn’t participated in the whole ‘wingman’ thing? If you never have, then you must not have gone to college. If you did go to college – you were probably one of those really boring people that never left their dorm room the entire 4 years or you went to a sucky college where there were no bars.

My other point is, if you are upset over the fact that it could be done do you, you’d have to be an idiot because you always have the right to say “No” or to walk away from the sleaze-ball who’s hitting on you. Also, majority of all wing-manning happens in bars and if you're going to bars looking for a long-term relationship, my condolences. Trust me, the point of a bar is to kick back, drink and forget about those pain-in-the-ass things in your life.

But that’s just my point of view on the subject…it was a good laugh and yes, even though the article (which I did end-up reading) was piece of crap, it did bring a number of good memories.

No comments: