2.12.2010

Are those from L.L. Bean

Not too long ago DC was dubbed the "Hollywood for Ugly People." I was a bit shocked when I heard this but then took a look around and realized that there is some truth to that statement. And lo-and-behold, there's even a blog devoted to it (then again, what isn't there a blog devoted to?)

Seeing that I've never claimed to be fashion-forward, ahem...I come from the land of practicality duh. I had my run-in with someone that reminded me of why the "Hollywood for Uglies" exists.

After the city has been ambushed by two blizzards over the past week and finds itself digging out of 2-4 feet of snow it is hard for the 'uglies' to even try to attempt at being fashionable but yet, I'm finding them trying really hard.

My common attire over the past week has consisted of snow pants, long-johns, boots and a down jacket. My way of sprucing up the outfit is via faux diamond earrings.
As I'm stomping around the city of Arlington (I haven't crossed the river in over a week due to crappy metro transit delays) I find myself in the same pieces of clothing and footwear ... namely my boots. My $20, Fleet Farm boots. These boots have saved me from many falls, from worrying about frostbite and have helped increase my speed in 18" of powdery, white stuff. While some friends are dawning their fancy lookin' rubber boots (non-insulated) I am perfectly happy and cozy while they are stomping their feet to regain feeling. So what if I look like I should be out deer hunting, I'm comfortable and that trumps all.

As I understand that girls still want to look cute even during the most treacherous weather, by no means are heels appropriate footwear. Yes, I'm talking to YOU the girl who took 20 mins to go downhill on a one-way path whereas it should have taken 5, ugh. (I'm still fuming about that)

While I have taken no shame in my lack of style,my ego has been lifted to a new level. It was Saturday and I had just trekked 4 miles around the city visiting friends in search of sanity where I made the last stop with my buddy T down the hill in Rosslyn. Once the evening came to a close T and I started to get ready to leave. Our host, a nice North Dakota boy who has been living out east longer than the wild west, took a glance at my boots and said, "Nice... did you get those at L.L. Bean?" Without skipping I beat I threw back, "Nope, I went to this little place, only in the Midwest, you may have heard of it - Fleet Farm."

BOO YA FASHION ELITISTS!

Curious, I took a look at what my twin boots at L.L. Bean would cost - yeah, I'm the wiser one there. Nice try boys. Lesson learned, I guess I can be a bit Hollywood and not even realize it - all thanks to Fleet Farm.

No comments: