2.10.2010

Neighborhood Dance

Do you want to know how to meet your neighbors that doesn't include the cops? A blizzard. I'm strong. But I'm tired of this. I thought I left this behind in the Midwest but I guess I and Al Gore were wrong. If there is anything good from this (beyond making the memorials look really purty covered in snow) it is getting out of the house and meeting your neighbors. On Saturday my roommate and I spent a good hour and half shoveling out the driveway to make it less craptastic come Sunday, when the snow was predicted to stop. During that time we witnessed the sorority house across the street with their boys in tow making a 'couch' out the snow drift in their front yard, complete with throw pillows and beer holders.

As my roommate and I threw beers in a bag and placed them on the cooler (the foot of snow on her car) we were greeted by hoards of neighbors walking down the street, beers in hand, chatting and taking photos of crazy, snow scenes. It was awesome. There were jokes going around and a lot of introductions. One of best moments was when the older couple across the road started to take about 30 photos of us in action and yelling over to us, "STOP! SMILE! PERFECT!!! We'll send these to you!" Love it. Another bonus, meeting the cute neighbor boy who's window is 10 ft away from mine (okay, that seems creepy written ... in it's not).

Anyhow neighbor boy earned major points that day with us for more than just looking cute. He had borrowed an old broom to clean off his car and I jokingly told him that he owed us a $10 usage fee. I said I was joking but he must have took it to heart a little. After a visit to the local Giant (I knew he went because he asked how it was after I had returned) we found a bottle of wine and a "Thank You" card on our porch next to the broom. Who knew guys still have hearts? I didn't! So now we are working on baking some cookies and going to bring them over to him as a thank you for being awesome.

Well, I'm out. I just pray that my roof doesn't collapse and the tree in the front yard decides to stay vertical (there is so much snow & ice on the darn thing, making in sag and hit our front window, not cool).

Hope ya'll are staying warm & safe!

No comments: