2.11.2010

Click.

As noted, I like to meet the neighbors. I just plain like meeting people and when I discovered that we had two neighbor guys just next door, I got even more excited. No, they won't fully replace TC & CF but they are about 1.94 miles closer. So after this discovery and in the midst of going stir-crazy during our second storm in less than a week I sought the advice of TC on how to get to know (re: get invited) the neighbors better. M and I though about bringing over cookies, perhaps asking to borrow something but it all just came off too desperate. Suffice to say, I gave up on my schemes and decided to move ahead with my projects of the day.

After being burned out from doing micro homework for 2.5 hrs I decided that I should fix a pitcher of sangria and clear off the newly blanketed drive for when M came home. She's had crappy commutes and going to work at 4:30 a.m. never lifts anyone's mood. I quick mixed up the sangria and put on my snow gear. All SET! I walk outside to survey the damage. Not bad! Uh oh. Did the door close? Was it locked? I groped for the doorknob while screaming at self within. DAMN! It's locked. I'm locked out of the house and it's 10 degrees out and windy. Awesome.

I figured there was little else I could do beyond shoveling seeing I had NOTHING on me (no cell, no money, nothing). It was about 4:25 when I locked self out. I set to work on our driveway. People would walk by but none of the close by neighbors. None of them were out. Of course. Well, other than the hillbillies two houses down and frankly, I'd rather freeze than figure out what they are gonna be doing with that old, rusted out 85 camero on blocks in the front yard.

After a solid hour (?) of shoveling finally the boys door opened and out came MM. He saw me shoveling. Yelled over, "I beat you!" MM, "Yeah, well you've been out here forever!" Me, "Ummmm *silence* Yeah.... *more silence* It's easy to do that when you lock yourself out of the house." MM just stared and then laughed. By then I was over the punchy phase and explained that M should be home within the next hour. After we cleared out his walkway and around the car I was invited it. He set the heater up right next to me and gave me a beer and tried to force me to eat dinner (Um, I'm a girl, we don't eat food in front of a boy the first time, no, we drink and starve ourselves in hopes to not look like the pigs that we are). I was able to locate M's number and leave her a msg about my stupidity and found myself home within the next 30 mins.

As fun as it was... locking self out is probably not the best way to get invited over to the neighbors house.

Best line of the night - M, "I seriously thought you planned this."

Yes, I did but no, not really. Next time, the keys are coming with me & a plate of cookies as a thanks.

And just in case you haven't seen how awesome the Mid-Atlantic weather has been ... this video is wicked awesome.

snOMG from Andrew Cutraro on Vimeo.

1 comment:

adrienne said...

This. is karma.

What for you might ask?
The following...

"But 60 degrees in the middle of January is a bit ridiculous. Really. It is." "I was sitting in nice, balmy weather. Sad."

Wah. Wah.

Moral of the story. Don't complain about balmy. Balmy is magnificent (and also doesn't involve shoveling small mountains of snow for extended periods of time) :)