5.10.2006

Another One Bites the Dust

Me: “Hey, you’ll never guess what? Alyssa is getting married!”
Mom and Dad, “Good for her!”
Me: “Yeah, another one bites the dust.”

This is the basic conversation that I have with my parents every time another engagement is announced or wedding invitation received. You see I, unlike many others my age, don’t want to get married and settle down.

I will admit that marriage was a major topic of my life a few years back, but I realized that A). I wasn’t ready and B). I had the wrong guy. We made the big dive and had a great amount of stuff planned (i.e. rings picked, where the wedding was going to take place, the wedding party, etc.). But I stopped it before the actual engagement. Many of my friends chalked it up to me being scared. He got mad and won’t speak to me anymore. But I don’t care. That is, they can be mad at me all they want. But don’t bash me for stopping a future with divorce written all over it from happening. So now you can say I’m on the other end of things when it comes to marriage.

The only reason why I brought this up is that today I got Wedding Invite #6 for the summer. This is crazy. For the past 3 years I’ve been averaging at least 6 weddings per summer. First of all, how can I know this many people?! And secondly, how can all these friends be ready for something so concrete at this age? I couldn’t and don’t want to be. I still want to move whenever, wherever and be free to do whatever I please. It sounds selfish, but really, it’s not. I just don’t want to get tied down at a young age and then regret that I didn’t do more 20 years down the road. I just hope that these people know what they’re doing. To me getting my car fixed and signing up for my 401(K) is just as far as I want to go for becoming a full-fledged adult.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So now I know how you really feel... :P At least this isn't 700 years ago when all the men around you would have made you marry by about age 12.

HollyGOPolitely said...

for josh....no worries. i'm actually pro you and sarah and you knew that! i'm going by the 'basics' here, silly. Plus, i was totally on the game that you two were destined for marriage.