5.18.2006

Standby - Visitor - Happy Birthday

Many people have specific outfits that they wear for certain occasions. First example, my freshman year, there were my four main drinkin shirts. Or the jeans that I had designated for ‘bar-only’ before the smoking ban in Minneapolis. (In all reality, that was an okay thing cause now I don’t have to burn my clothes after I hangout at Sterbs.) We all have those types of clothes and know that they provide us some comfort because of their functionality, lay-ability and the whatnot.

Now, I have the “Save My Ass” outfit. This one is a fool-proof outfit only for the days that I go to work hung-over. I rarely wear it outside of its original purpose because I always want it on stand-by; meaning that at all times it is clean, pressed and hung appropriately in my closet.

Now the reason of why I needed to designate such an outfit came after one rough summer of waking up way too late and way too hung-over to put together an appropriate look for work. Seeing that much of my work is spent with different executives and business owners I need to have a professional look. My summer of “Bardom” didn’t help my much needed sense of fashion and everyday grooming. Oftentimes I’d come into work reeking of bar (hair) and wearing a stained, wrinkled pair of pants. Mind you, my co-workers were impressed that I made it to work at all but still, I think that I might have had a stench coming from my office some of those days. And really, who wants to be known as “that stinky girl” at work? It’s also not a good sign when you go through an entire bottle of Febreeze (which is a Godsend) in one month.

So one day I thought, you know, it’s cool to have those pre-planned outfits that give you a killer look for when you go out at night, why not do the same for work? So I went through my closet contemplating over what would be the best outfit that makes you look the least hung-over. I chose a skirt to prove that I’m still a lady, but made sure it doesn’t wrinkle easily and it’s a darker color so it doesn’t kill the bloodshot eyes when I look at it. The shirt, also dark, has sleeves to cover up any unnecessary bruises that I may have gotten from that night (old roommate story). The colors go well with my glasses. Yes, glasses. I love my contacts, but most of the time I wake up and realize that, “No, God didn’t restore your eyesight, you forgot your damn contacts in again.” Thus, I end up wearing my glasses to give my poor eyes a rest. The best thing about this outfit is that I can wear the best shoes ever. They are comfortable and I can’t tip over in them that well. This is necessary seeing that I have a problem walking the day after. So this outfit is always ready so that gives me plenty of time to pop in the shower to rinse off anything linger smoke smell, throw my hair up and be out the door in less than 10 mins. God bless my incredible preplanning.

Even though I’ve had this going on for awhile I mention it now because today was the first time that I actually got to use it!

Now that I have reinstated drinking again on work nights….I might have to pick out a few more outfits to be on standby.

***
Okay, I was told that I needed to mention him on what he calls my “Your sucky blog.” So Hi Tyler. Thank you so much for being my very first visitor. I enjoyed going to Kitty O’Sheas, Four Courts and Ragtime with you.

***

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JR…have a great one bud.

No comments: