9.13.2006

So Long Marshall Field's


A little part of me just died this week. It’s official. Marshall Fields is gone forever. I knew it was going to happen since a year ago when Federated bought out May Department stores. It’s ironic because I found out in about it during the same way I’m encountering my loss today….sitting in a chilly cubicle at work, attempting to do anything but actual work. The only difference is that this time I’m in DC and have a neighbor who is just was crabby about it. Co-worker Carrie, a Chicago native, reminded me about the death as soon as I walked in today. Minutes later she shouts above our ‘Great Wall of China’ (her cube wall), “Cassandra read this.” It was an article from the Chicago Tribune in regards to Macy’s sleazy approach to corrupting a good name in the Midwest (a good promo doesn’t consist of stupid $10 gift cards…hello….glad we can now afford a pair of socks). We are determined that Macy’s paid off the Tribune because the article was cheesy at best and in favor of Macys. Not a mere mention of the rage that many people in Chicago (and elsewhere) felt about the change. And to top that off, it made Mayor Daley sound like he didn’t care and I have sources that say otherwise.

This reminds me of back when Dayton’s went to the Marshall Field’s name. But I hurt five times as bad today as I did then. I remember back in 2001 when I the difficult time writing the longer name on my checks (from a young age my mother taught me to shop at Dayton’s). So I understand the pain that Chicago is feeling with this change. Granted our (MNs) change was a little different with no buy-outs but instead a “unified merger of Hudson’s, Marshall Field’s and Dayton’s.” But who can forget the number of Minnesotan’s that were upset over it? I won’t and it’s still a hot topic to this day. We felt invaded and stripped of a quality title. Granted I was only 17 at the time and a novice shopper, but it still took some time for me to learn to love Marshall Field’s.

But I don’t think that’s going to happen with Macy’s. I won’t give into their little ploys and crappy buyers. And let’s not forget the terrible service they have! The only thing that Macy’s had going for it in, my book, was their parade and that has taken a turn for the worse. I refuse to shop at Macy’s out here. So, I’m left with Nordstrom’s (which I’m slowly learning to love; luckily they have decent service in their shoe department) and Bloomingdales. But it’s not the same.

So I salute you, Marshall Field’s, my all-time favorite store that had service people who knew me by first name in the shoe department - may you rest in peace.

No comments: