3.29.2007

"You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl."


Well it's true! I love the city life, I really do. But sometimes I'm tired of hearing the city's hustle and bustle. I can go about two weeks before I explode. I finally figured out why people take Sunday drives in the countryside. Back when I lived in the rural area I thought they were crazy people and not to mention the slowness in their driving was KILLING ME. Now I'm the one doing it. It has actually been over a month now since I've been in a rural area. All I've been able to do is leave the Beltway for a bit. But even outside the Beltway I feel cramped and pushed around.


So I've found an oasis. On occasion, when at work or home, I will pop in my "A Priairie Home Companion" soundtrack and read Agri-News. It's sometimes as close as I can get to the farm. Granted I can do it in heels and the comfort of my chair; it helps. My mind settles. I tune out the airplane flying overhead into DCA or the annoying hum of the printer. I think of brunch on the farm with my father; sitting there and reading the various ag magazines and talking local news. Sometimes it's nice when your 'big' local news isn't even "Extra" worthy for KARE11.


While I continue to love my version of city-life livin' I know I'll never be able to fully give-up/let go of my rural roots. They are deep. Very deep. Yes, I will still "oohh" and "aaahhh" over pictures of cows or threaten you with a pitchfork (which I don't even own) while dawning my pearls and an updo. It's just something that some of us country kids can do.


Now I'd pay anything to see some of my city friends on a farm. Nothing gets more entertaining than that. Not even Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mooo.