7.09.2007

Say "Adeiu to the Big Dawg" (a bit late....sorry!)

My mother loves brats. When I was little I thought she was weird for that....who would want this big hunk of spicy meat when you could have a nice, simple hotdog loaded with ketchup...and oy...add a slice of cheese and you're in Heaven! But as I grew older that only left me with a little of something to be desired. My palate had changed and so I entered the 'old folk' arena by switching to the brat. Needless to say, I love me a good one. I actually find myself becoming very picky when it comes to those things. I may nay it after a bite or two due to it's over zealous spice or lack-there-of. Who knew I'd be a conisseur of the brat?! (okay, I'm not but damn they are good!)

So yes, I will be missing Mr. Ralph F. Stayer....the Einstein of the Johnsonville brand for processed meats. He was the man behind the 'supa-dawg'.....all that spiced meat along with the thick coated casein (I appreciate this even more after working with dairy applications in process meat). I think I just drew a little tear again (ahem...I may or may not have done so when I found out the other day...sush, it's food we're talking about - a.k.a SERIOUS business to me!).

I'm sure Sheboygan Falls, WI and Ely, MN (his birthplace) will be mouring a great man with a good sense of taste and in the end - business.

No comments: