2.25.2008

$1.24 and Out

First of all....I am going to throw this out there. I'm an ESTJ. So is Hillary Clinton. Interesting eh? I will put it this way, I'm not the most thrilled about it but then again, who cares right? I'll give her one thing - she's a crazy, strong-minded lady. And well, if you know me, that will kinda sum me up too. Granted I have a feeling I cry more than she does.

I can't believe it's almost March. I've been in the City of Brotherly Love for more than 4 months now. In a million and one ways, it doesn't feel that way. Perhaps because I've spent 2/3's of my weekends all around the east, midwest and overseas instead of learning about my new hometown. There are days when I'll be at work and totally forget that I'm even in PA. I guess that's good. For the most part, its quite homey.

And speaking of homey, I am absolutley in love with my new curling club. I liked my prior club but it didn't quite do it for me. First of all, I joined late in the season and lived too far away to go often for social events. Also, they tended to be a bit more systematic......
Now my new club is literally just like going to a family gathering. I, again, joined late (due to my move). I wasn't sure about the club from when I had first walked in one night to inquire about membership and was flogged down by people willing to help me out.

But they grew on me. I didn't feel as bad when I got out on the ice and threw some rough shots (guards that ended up in the hack!). They were supportive and I will say that helped my game improve. I've become more confident. I've spent more time skipping and focusing on strategy. The women have called me and invited me to numerous events. I have grown to love them so much that I've traveled for MACA (Mid-Atlantic Curling Assoc).

Though all of these little things (including our midnight pantry raids) are not even close to what this club has done to prove their FAMILYESQUISH style. This past weekend I spent the majority of my weekend at the club not just hanging but being a part of a curl-a-thon for a member who is now a quadriplegic. This group got together and said, "We need to show support for our member.....our family who has had a major change in his life." And after spending most of the weekend meeting more members, curling, eating and etc. - I knew it was the club for me.

Funny how while this curl-a-thon was ultimately for Jeff and his family, I think I benefitted just as much as the Harris family. The biggest benefit; it gave me a family that I was lacking in my new city.

No comments: