2.29.2008

Happy Leap Year 2 Million

I like to think that Leap Year (Leap Day) was created way back in the day by a bunch of type A Catholic math-junkies that had a bit of time on their hands and thought...."Hrmmm...our calendar is getting messed up because our rotation around the sun isn't a perfect 365 days of the year." "Let us fix this! To the blackboard!" Two days later they have figured out the solution.

Leap Day

Now I know that was a fairly bold statement and, essentially, it's a great idea. But sometimes you wonder, is it SO terrible if we didn't throw in that extra day every four years? How much different would everything be? I'm curious. It isn't something I've pondered much beyond a moment last night while watching the news (and now, of course).

If anything, it gives me an extra day to get stuff done. Positive thinking, no?

Though, I do feel bad for those who are born on a Leap Day....you're just kinda odd cause the 29th only comes around every four years. Really, I adore my birthday date. I adore it so much (the 12th) that I celebrate for 12 days! I couldn't do that if I was a Leap Day kid. I'd have to wait every four years to have my big bash for it to be legit. And that, I do not approve of.

***

Shout out for my MN friends....think about becoming an MPR member. Yes, they get funding via Govn't (~ 8%) but I know some of their best stuff (think The Current) could always use a better budget to keep up the fantastic job they are doing (and no, I'm not supporting a budget cut at this moment). I love 89.3 so much I still streamline it religously at work to get me through the days.....and yes, I'm a contributing member.

And if you're in the public radio shopping mode - XPN (Philly public radio version of MN 89.3) is a great one. They are my No. 1 pre-set in my car for those lovely daily commutes to work. They need love too. If anything, get on their mailing list. Good stuff.

No comments: