1.21.2008

The New Rants....Hillesque

I don't work in DC, nor do I live there anymore. But I still hear the rants of old friends who do and even my favorite ag blogger jumped on the wagon. And what is the latest rant....? Could it be the '08 overbearings of primaries galore with no solidified answers? Could it be the media boom on the so-called-to-maybe-happen 'economic stimulus package'? No. It's Pelosi & Companies changing of the Hill cafeterias over to green. The overhaul included the decline of Starbucks with replacement of fair-trade coffee. Biodegradeable tablewear (though the straws are SO biodegradeable that they start the process early when dunked in warm liquds, i.e. coffee). And let's us not forget that ALL food products are claimed to be BST, antibiotic and taste - FREE but much more expensive.

As much as I don't care...I do. So now, my thoughts.

First of all, I've never worked on the Hill. But I do know a few things about Hill staffers. And the biggest thing is that majority of those who eat in the Hill cafeterias make zip for money (~ $27,000/year). You may say, "Why don't they bring there own food..??" That is often a good idea, but the Hill is a lot like campus dorm life. You have little in your dormitory for food storage, etc.; you instead you eat in the cafeteria.

Also, kudos to the whole moving to recyclable foodwear. That is good. I'm pro-recycling. I'm the kid from the days of the "Recycle, Reduce, Reuse!" song era. I started my own family's first ever recycling program (it took a bit of lobbying on my part, might I add). But it is sad to find out that much of the recycling yet today isn't always recycled and then the stuff that is....uses just as much energy to 'recycle' thus leaving you with an bit of question on what is better? Luckily for you recycling types, I'm still pro-it, for the fact that I hate stuff taking up valuable space and non-biodegradeable stuff does that.

And my final thought is.....wow. Thanks guys. I'm glad we can accomplish revamping the Hill cafeterias to a more posch/green state but yet it is beyond your comprehension of the million of more worthwhile bills that are standing there, unresovled.

Please, go kum-ba-yah over that.

No comments: