1.14.2010

The Day of the Pomello


Last night a good friend of mine took me shopping out in Seven Corners (Falls Church) to a market where I was the whitest person there. My friend, who comes from Puerto Rican and Japanese background, loves it for the vast amounts of fresh produce and the crazy cuts of meat that you never knew existed outside of Chinatown. I went for kicks and giggles.

As I walked in I moseyed around picking produce that I loved and could find at the local HT and throwing in a few things that I had NO CLUE what they were. I figured that as long as I knew the name I could figure it out, thanks to the age of the internet. One of the new additions to my produce list was the "Pomello" ... best described as a grapefruit on steroids.

It was a beautiful piece and I had to get it. I yelled over to my friend asking, "Do you know what a PO - MEL - LO is?" He shook his head "no" so I stood there for about 30 seconds and contemplated the purchase. I figured, "what the heck, why not?!" and threw one in my basket.

(14 hrs go by)

So I just broke into it and yes, I did it before looking up what the heck it was! I learned quickly that there isn't that much flesh to it but it's way more delicious than your average grapefruit. I also learned that you need to peel the flesh away from the skin or else you'll be eating something not so tasty. After learning that the hard way I was well into pulling fleshy parts off and inhaling them like candy with the sweet juices running down my chin and all over the counter. It was fantastic and I recommend it to anyone who would love a cross between an orange and a grapefruit.

Welcome to my list of "Fruits I Love" Pomello!

No comments: