9.14.2007

Survivor

At the end of every month my office throws EVERYTHING out of the two fridges. We're talking Tupperware containers of food, frozen meals and such. They have no limits. I understand the deal because if it didn't happen, the stuff piles up. I get it. You leave it there...it gets thrown at exactly 5 p.m. on the last Friday of the month.

Unless it is pickled herring.

I bought a jar of pickled herring in a cream sauce back in the middle of August. I ate most of it but forgot about it. Not only did I forget about it then, I totally forgot I had brought it to work (for 2 meals!). That was until yesterday. I'm searching through the piles of bagged lunches, all the way to the back and what do I find? You guessed it. My pickled herring. Sitting there, tucked up against the back of the fridge on the top shelf.

So I'm wondering. What prompts you to toss things like peoples' nice Tupperware and unopened frozen meals but leave the half eaten herring? Are you scared of it? I mean, it's kinda grey and murky looking - but it tastes "Oh so delish!" This thoroughly amuses me.

I'm proud that I finally found something that can survive the garbage Nazi. I think this time I'm going to test her limits with luetifisk. If it works, I'm I have finally discovered the proper 'weapons' for the Scandinavians to use.

Maybe I should now keep a jar of herring in my purse instead of the mace. You never know when it will come in handy.


****

By the way - it's tough finding decent pickled herring out here. I miss my Olsen Fish Co. - I knew their products and quality. It was amazing. Oh well.

No comments: