10.23.2006

My Heart is Broken

I recieved a phone call from my mom the other day. She said that there was some bad news. I paused for a moment and waited for her to proceed. "Hon, Mack Reiter tore is ACL....he'll be out the rest of the season." I was stunned. I didn't know what to say, instead I let a tear drop. Mack, one of the Gophers biggest hopes, will not be there to help bring back the National title for wrestling. (Note: Mack was an All-American both 2005 and 2006, finishing 4th last year)

It may seem crazy in with my family's response, but that is how we roll. There is no sport higher than wrestling in our lives (no worries, we root for football and hockey like crazy). But our Gopher Wrestling team comes first. These are guys that we have watched and cheered for since their redshirting days....and maybe even before (if they came from a MN or IA H.S.) So when one of the team members is down, we feel the pain.

The team is currently ranked No. 1 for the NCAA preseason rankings...even though Okie State has held the last four years as the Natioanl Champs. This is the year that the nation is looking at the U to once again pull a victory come March. The team has been building and is bringing back seven national qualifiers....not too shabby. But the hole from Mack will be felt and I'm not looking forward to it. But I have a feeling that the Gophers won't let this shake them. Unlike some other sports at the U, wrestling doesn't rely on one individual to get the job done.

So......Good Luck Guys!

****

Speaking of OTHER Gopher sports....

WAY TO GO U of M Football Team. I'm so happy you were able to pull it off against the Bison. It was a true nail biter.


*Sorry, sarcasm is so hard to show via internet*

No comments: