10.01.2006

I'm All Grown-up......Almost


Okay I may not be totally grown-up but I feel like I'm making progress. The the sign that I was maturing came when I realized that I had one of the most amazing weekends of my life and not one lick of alcohol touched my lips during it. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't stopped drinking; we all know that will be a cold day in hell when that happens. But I am slowly working away from things in the possible future such as my children knowing the differnce between a martini and a cosmo before knowing how to add 1 + 1. Or my husband explaining to the children why mommy is slurring the words during their bedtime story.

This past weekend I ended up putting in over 16 solid hours of volunteer work for the DC MS Challenge Walk. It was a 3 day walk covering 50 miles from northern VA up to the Capitol. I didn't walk it but the 350 people who did were amazing. I got to meet a huge variety of people that truly touched my heart. Majority of them are in the same boat as me, having someone close to them (for me, my father) who has multiple sclerosis. So not only was it a physically draining challenge but it was very emotional. I cried a few times. Mostly because I was amazed by the commitment that people have towards finding a cure for it, but also because it's finally starting to sink in that my father has MS.

That was another turning point for me on the maturity scale when I actually accepted the fact that my parents aren't getting any younger. It's been over a year now since we've discovered my father's condition. I had accepted it but I didn't take in all that was to come with the package. The first few months I didn't notice anything different, but then it was after I left and had longer periods of time in-between seeing him that I started to notice. He's getting a bit stiff...such as he can't walk very well. Also he gets tired very easily. So to see all of these supporters AND people WITH MS doing that 50 mile walk, I was over-joyed/amazed/emotional and everything in between.

The walk also allowed for me to meet a lot of fun people such as the couple from Michigan who bantered back and forth with me about who was gonna get the Little Brown Jug (they even came up to me and apolozied today). Or the lady who came all the way from MN for the walk...when I found out she loved the Twins I plowed her over with a hug. Let's not forget Doug who read my MN Hockey sweatshirt as MN Hickey....and proceeded to ask for one. And my last but not least - favorites were the GW MBA student volunteers. They were amazing help and made my weekend exiciting and entertaining beyond belief.

I thought I had the greatest weekend ever until....

I got home from my MS stuff and turned on the TV and found that my Twins were winning and ended up(after what seemed like enternity waiting for the Tigers to lose to KC) clinching the AL Central Division Title....I believe I got a little taste of what Heaven may be like.


(Okay this is just a 'taste of Heaven' cause my real Heaven must include a World Series, a real cure for MS and me being very, very well off with an adorable husband.... really, that's not asking for much!)

No comments: