10.18.2006

Remember When We Had the Little Brown Jug?

Dear Glen Mason,

Thank you, Glen Mason, for everything that you have given the U of M football team. I know you work so hard to give us the best there is.


Yeah right.


I’ve been a devoted Gopher fan since the day I’ve arrived on this earth (even during my two year stint at ISU). I’ve gone to games/matches, wore my maroon and gold and, yes, even traveled to crazy places to cheer on my Gophers. Rarely was I ever let down…..that is, with wrestling, basketball, hockey, track and volleyball. But I guess I can thank you for being the one coach that I can always count on – to lose. You have the ability to lose games that would seem impossible for a top Big Ten school. You lost to Purdue. Even Purdue Alumni (I have evidence) were amazed by that.

So you stink at coaching. That is okay, just admit it. I know it’s tough but the first step that you need to take is the ‘accepting that you really stink.’ You’re lucky that our Athletic Dept has nothing better to do than to renew your contract (one really sad note: even MY MOM thinks that is ridiculous and she’s not even a big Gopher Football fan).

Okay – I know that admitting something such as you stink at coaching after a solid 21 years of doing it can be tough. But please, for the love of all that is right in college sports, especially Big Ten, don’t turn the story around on the fans. Lord, your lucky you even have fans a the games. Hint: we come because we think college football is one of the greatest things out there….and we love our alma mater – not you. I understand that you were “upset” with some of the fans at the Penn State game because they booed at you. Ummmm….buddy, there will always be booing, as long as you’re coaching. I do know a way that you can stop it though. Be a better coach, or wait! No! Move on. Yes, that would be a better idea.

Also, please don’t go blaming the alcohol as the factor for the booing. I was there and I wasn’t drinking – BUT I WAS booing. At you. Oh my gosh! I’m sorry, was that rude of me? No. I paid to be there and I saw a crappy ending to what could’ve been a solid game. I believe I had the right to boo, just like I had the right to cheer (which I also did). And don’t worry – we’re not just complaining about you at the games, we spread our message whenever and wherever possible. I was at a restaurant several hours after our Penn State loss and heard a lady complaining about the lack of coaching you provide. Again, my apologies, but that’s what the consensus is. If you can’t accept it, that’s your tough luck.

Another thing – please don’t talk about how many bowl games we’ve been too. I’m not a college football expert, I’ll admit it, but I will admit we don’t deserve a bowl game with the type of schedule that you put together. I had to take five glances at this years schedule before I could even fathom the idea that we’re playing NDSU. NDSU!? Come on! My old AA MSHL football team could beat them. That is so sad. (I believe I just shed a tear over that.)

My point is, Mr. Mason, we don’t like your coaching. We’re fans of the game, but not fans of you. You put together stinky seasons and seem to not make the best use of the team you have and that makes us look bad. If we’re going to lose let’s lose to the best of them. It’s more embarrassing getting a bowl game (that seems made up…I’m banking on something like the Rice-A-Roni Bowl Game this year) out of a petty schedule than not getting a bowl game because we had a tough season.

So please, don’t go blaming the fans or the alcohol (which helps many of us make it through one of your games). Blame yourself for not listening to our pleas. We love our school and college sports and only want the best for them, but your not it.

In Gopher Spirit –

C.
2005 U of M Graduate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO NDSU!!! Thunder Herd stomping on the gophers.
I want a total break down. I want more NDSU fans. I want those boys playing for NDSU that are from MN to plant a flag in the Metrodome, just so Mason can exuse the fact that he cant recruit. Dammit he so pathetic!