10.12.2006

Obsessions

After landing at the Humphrey Terminal and finding out that my ride wasn’t on time I decided to wait it out at the bar for a bit and watch some baseball. (It was depressing cause that was the night when the Twins lost their 3rd straight game to the Oakland A’s). So I’m sitting there and pouting when a couple came up to me. I noticed that they wanted to sit down but my stuff was taking up all of the space. So I quickly gathered it up and gave them some room. I only got a glimpse of them before turning back and focusing on the screen. Soon after the lady tapped my shoulder and said, “Are you from Rice Co.?” I turned and here it was a mom of some kids that I used to show dairy cows with (it’s okay to laugh, but yes, I showed dairy cows for a solid 15 years). We laughed and caught up on where her kids are at and what I’m doing. Next thing I know she’s poking her boyfriend and saying “The best memory that I have of Cass is when she would sing Patsy Cline songs for Performing Arts.”

I turned about five shades of red and asked for her not to ever mention that again. I don’t know if I was more embarrassed that she remembered that (of all things) or the fact that I STILL sing Patsy and she’s not the only person who remembers me for that. I guess some obsessions die hard. As I was recalling that (I’ve been obsessed with Patsy Cline music since I was around 10 years old) I have found that my obsessions today basically started at a young age and have yet to change. For instance, I’m still obsessed with Ronald Reagan (I chose to have my photo taken with his cutout instead of Michael Jackson when I was 9 because Ronnie was “So much cooler.”). Now I have a the Time commemorative issue of Ronald framed and hanging in my bedroom and a book of pictures of him during his Presidency.

Another obsession – wrestling. Not that fake crap but the Greco-Roman style done in college. My family has been going to Gopher wrestling since the beginning of time. It’s literally our one huge family thing we do. And to top that off, there is one wrestler in particular that I’ve been a little insane for. I watched him wrestle since we were both freshman in high school and then throughout his career with the Gophers. Even after a little ‘research’ when I found out that he doesn’t like to read and looked like he had the IQ of a 6th grader, I was still obsessed. I’m starting to let go of him but definitely not Gopher Wrestling. And yes, I hate posters, that is, unless it’s a poster of the Gopher Wrestling team which dawns my bedroom door.


My final obsession is agriculture; more specifically, dairy. It’s guaranteed that if you’ve known me longer than a minute, you probably know the industry from top to bottom and have discussed your daily consumption (3-A-Day of Dairy) with me. This is one obsession that I’ve attempted to kill a number of times to make myself look more ‘urbane’ but we all know that will never happen. I’m glad that is true seeing that was the lifestyle in which I was lucky to grow-up in. Yes, my brothers and I were a little odd because most of our time was spent working/playing on a farm and we were driving tractors and farm vehicles before we could see above the dashboard (I used a phone book as a booster). Or the fact that I read farm magazines from a young age (and still do now). And perhaps arguing with people about which breed/type of tractor/make of a truck is better. But beyond that, nothing too strange there *hehe*


Looking back, maybe I shouldn’t be so damn embarrassed of my obsessions. It shows that I’m fairly well-rounded (i.e. I like sports, politics, the arts and agriculture). I feel a little better. I think I’m going to throw on my Patsy now and get back to reading about the upcoming season for the wrestling team while listening to MSNBC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See dammit! If you hadnt landed so EARLY!! and....what expect the ride to get only half hour after the original landing time... you would not have met your friend from years gone past. see things do work out for a reason there, cassi duke!