8.17.2006

Drinks vs. Lunch

My friends are determined to get me hitched. I’m talking the friends whom I’ve just met since I’ve moved. I love them all dearly (why else would I be friends with them if I didn’t?!) but really, to many, it’s their mission. I find it odd seeing that all but a handful are single too. I’m not jumping all over them to get in a serious relationship……..so why are they doing it to me?

There was one situation that I found quite funny. I’m at CMs place with his girlfriend and another friend of ours (who’s single). We’re talking about good places along the waterfront and then a slight mentioning of dating came up. CM eyes me and said, “We need to get Cassandra out on the market fast.” I’m sitting there, enjoying my sundae and this comes out of the blue. WHAT THE HELL!?! Do I have a look of desperation written on my forehead?

From that we went into the discussion of the dating services of “It’s Just Lunch” and “It’s Just Drinks.” I de-test any of those types of things (not to mention E-harmony and other web-based dating sites). I’m young and have NO intentions of settling anytime soon and that’s what those site/programs are for. They are not for young professionals who are concentration on making a career. So why are my friends all about this for me? Is it my ‘wholesome Midwestern girl attitude’ (haha, we all know that’s a joke!) where you’ve gotta get the young lady hitched?

And now I laugh because this past week has been nothing but ‘lunches’ and ‘drinks’. (not through a service though) I do have to admit I got a little nervous about lunch (but I shouldn’t have been….I’m such an idiot) only to invite my co-workers along. I guess, as long as I keep inviting my co-workers with I won’t have to worry about that serious relationship thing and settling down. But then again, that will mean I won’t have satisfied my friends on the settling down factor. I guess I just can’t win. And no worries…those drinks and lunch things didn’t amount to much more than me befriending the guy (and no, I’m NOT an idiot for that).

But here’s my question for you people….what do you prefer Lunch or Drinks?

I tend to stay away from lunches because they are more serious to me. I find them as perfect tests to see if the guy really likes you. There are several reasons why lunch can be so scary as a date. First of all it’s broad daylight out and NO ONE looks great in daylight (if they did we wouldn’t have dimmers in bars/restaurants). Secondly, you’re grumpy from midday work. And not to mention looking frumpy in your casual work clothes (again, gotta leave the cute outfits home). But if he can look past that without the help of 5 drinks, you’ve got a winner.

But seeing I’m not looking for something serious – DRINKS IT IS!

No comments: