8.06.2006

Over-dressed


**Going between The Godfather and FoxNews**

I like VA granted I live in NOVA which is polar opposite from the rest of the Commonewealth. And the reminder came this weekend during our drive to The Plains, VA for the polo match.

Scene One: Local Talk

Characters:
Me (in simple sundress, hair down and hat)
Rick (Khaki shorts and polo)
**fyi, Rick is from the suburbs of Philly - so think as if you were him**

Scene - Rick and I in car driving to Great Meadow on Route 66

Rick - I need to stop and get something to drink.
Me - Oh yeah, where were you planning on doing that?
Rick - I figured The Plains.
Me - You do realize it's in the middle of the country?
Rick - Oh yeah so.
Exiting off of Route 66 onto country road in literally nowhere.(but it is tarred)
Me - Why don't we drive down this until we hit a small town.
Rick looks at me waiting for a punch line only to realize there is none - so he drives north like said.
Rick - So where's this town?
Me - Oh about 2 miles.
Rick is getting agitated and showing it.
Me - This isn't the boonies you know, I've seen at least 5 houses and a farm.
Rick - "haha...not funny."
We arrive at small town and drive around the 3 'streets' but located no store.
Me - OH! there's a sign for Warrenton - just another 4 miles.
Rick is again giving a dirty look towards me.
Arrive into Warrenton and drive to the 7-Eleven, I wait in car and observe the locals
Rick returns to car and has a baffled look going.

Me - I like the locals.
Rick - The lady in there asked me why I was so dressed up!
Me - **laughing**Welcome to the rest of Virginia.

Just a note: He did explain where we were going to but held back on telling her that he was fairly underdressed for the occasion. Gotta love the suburban kid in the country.

But the rest of the night was excellent....as mentioned further:

I would like to confirm that I love the sport Polo. Even though I never thought horses were meant for much beyond Elmers, dog food and racing - I will now say that they are also good for Polo. I went to my first live Polo match last night. It was fun. Not just because I had an excuse to wear a sundress, pearls and a hat but it was BEAUTIFUL out and the crowd just as fun/nice. Now don't get me wrong - I still like sports where you dress in team colors and shout obscenities to the refs/umps but it's also nice to go to ones where you relax, gossip and picnic your food. And just so you know, I didn't go totally snobbish - I still drank tequila out of a water bottle. Let's just say I still like to bring that little bit of sloppishnish along with the snobbishness.....

Picture: "The Nashville Crew" Me, Carrie and Sery
(Please note no hat in pic because A)It's dusk and B)Hat's aren't good for photos)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are officially a snob.

...but still a tourist