8.30.2006

MSF Crazy


My countdown is nearing its end for the MN State Fair. (3 days and I’ll be staring at the latest Butterhead carving) And I have proof as to why I'm such a State Fair fanatic - Genetics.

Proof: Convo with my mom a couple of days ago.
Me: “Hey, when is Dad working the Moo Booth?”
Mom: “Sunday.”
Me: “Wow, so I’ll probably be at the fair the entire time I’m home. Not sure when I’ll get to see everyone.” (feeling a little guilty)
Mom: “Well of course you’re going to be there everyday, it’s the reason you came home. You can see us whenever but the fair is only once a year.”

That was when I fully understood what it’s like to be Fair-minded and I blame it on my mom. Our conversation wasn’t the only moment of ridiculousness in regards me and the MSF this year. Even though I haven't beent there yet, doesn't mean I haven't rpepared by performing/doing the following:
- Rushing home last Wednesday night to go online and see who was crowned Princess Kay 53
- Tearing up when I read the Strib article on the new Miracle of Birth Center
- Scheduling a time to meet up with my old boss’ at the Fair
- Checking the Strib everyday to see the latest Fair story
- Calling home to make sure Dad is working the Moo Booth so I can help
- Mentally prepare myself to hold back tears when I enter the Empire Commons (a.k.a Dairy Building)
- Yelling at my friend via phone when he called to tell me he was standing in the barn and wanted to let me know that “cows are stupid.” (it’s a amazing we’re still friends after that)
- ‘Educating’ my co-workers on a daily basis about the many wonders/facts about my home Fair.

So we all know of my problem….err, well at least one of them. And yes, I am a tad biased when it comes to who has the best State Fair. A friend of mine argued MN doesn’t come out as numero uno in the contest for Best State Fair. I disagree. I find it interesting that she backs her reason with just one little thing….that her state is more focused on Ag and 4-H. Now, seeing I’m a part of that industry, I can’t complain. But I can argue. Yes, for many years, the livestock exhibits and shows were what made a fair. But we have to remember that we are an ever changing society. I can tell you that MN ranks number two for most highly attended State Fair in the country (just behind Texas with an avg attendance of 1.6 million). Not bad for having a fairly low state population. And I can also inform you that we have one of the most innovative fairs; offering more for the consumer than just food-on-a-stick.

In accordance to the MN State Fair’s website it states the following:

About Us
The Minnesota State Fair is a financially self-supporting
quasi-state agency. The annual production of the State Fair, along with all
improvements and maintenance of the 320-acre State Fairgrounds, are financed
exclusively through revenue produced by the State Fair's year-round operations.
The State Fair has received no public money of any kind since 1949.

Our Mission
Our mission is to educate and involve our guests by providing a world-class showcase that is innovative, entertaining and fun.

We strive to:
Showcase Minnesota’s finest agriculture, art and industry
Present an unparalleled forum for knowledge and ideas
Provide outstanding customer service
Offer exceptional value
Provide a safe, clean environment that is accessible to all
Create unique experiences



This statement shows that we strive to bring three aspects together on what makes Minnesota great. Personally I’d like to believe agriculture does it all be itself, but it doesn’t. MN is made up of diverse and intriguing sectors and that is what should be showcased at its Fair.

As for what the ag industry is doing, we have more hands-on educational exhibits now than we did just 5 years ago – that’s a good sign. As our society grows further away from the farm we need to adapt to their tastes. People come to eat new foods (on-a-stick is for convenience), to learn and be entertained. I’m sorry, but watching cows in a show ring is BORING…..and that’s sad when I say that. But it’s true. Not to mention, that doesn’t show the average city/suburban kid what ag is about. Having a hands-on booth educating a consumer on where their food comes from is 500x more informative and interesting for a consumer. So when they are slurping down their milkshake why not have info on dairy right next door, nothing like making a little profit and while teaching them what farming consists of. Now that is the new mindset of agriculture at the fair.

So that my rant on why I love the MSF. You can disagree. But never will I turn my nose up to my own state and its fair. That’s just not kosher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you didn't address my comment about the beer gardens. Some of my greatest memories in 4-H at the state fair fair where dancing in the beer gardens. :)